In this report, Northern Virginia is defined as including the following localities: Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, and Stafford counties and the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Fredericksburg, Manassas, and Manassas Park.
African-American and Immigrant Communities Share Challenges, Policy Solutions African-American and immigrant communities in Virginia share many challenges, and there are critical policy solutions that could improve the lives of both immigrant and African-American Virginians. This report explores some of these challenges and solutions, focusing on residential segregation, schools that too often fail to meet the needs of all students, employment challenges for adults without high school diplomas, low wages for many workers, lack of health insurance and culturally competent health care, significant caretaking responsibilities without the benefit of paid sick leave and family leave, and harsher punishment in the criminal justice system.
Our Recent Work
The facts about immigrants and their contributions to the Northern Virginia economy
June 10, 2016
Virginia Lags in Providing Low-Income Students the Opportunity to Succeed in the Classroom
June 1, 2016
African-American and Immigrant Communities Share Challenges, Policy Solutions
May 24, 2016
As Job Gains Spread, Gaps Are Becoming More Stark
April 26, 2016
Proportionately Less Funding Restored for High-Poverty School Divisions
March 28, 2016See all Recent Reports
- Fleeing Violence, Refugees Live Into America’s Promise June 23, 2016Families who have been forced to hurriedly flee their homeland because of genocide or persecution...
- Let’s Put Out the ‘Welcome Mat’ So More Virginia Kids Get Health Insurance June 22, 2016More than 20,000 kids in Virginia may lack health insurance because lawmakers have refused to close...
- Weighing Support in Each Virginia School Division June 16, 2016We recently published analysis that shows how Virginia lags many other states in providing...
- Making A Fair Comparison When Looking at School Spending June 8, 2016Richmond is not Chesterfield.And Petersburg is not Prince George, Hampton is not Poquoson, and...
- A Better Virginia Economy for All June 3, 2016We believe Virginia needs an economy that works for us all, not just a few. Where every Virginian...
- UPDATED: Key information and trends about demographics and... May 23, 2016UPDATED: Key information and trends about demographics and funding in Richmond Public Schools. For a pdf of this image, click here.